Job Title: Contracts Lawyer
Location: London / Hybrid
Full time 37.5 hours per week
Salary: Up to £80,000 Dependant on Experience
We’re looking for a Contracts Lawyer, to join our in-house multi-specialty legal team.
As a Contracts Lawyer with us, you’ll work in a supportive and successful legal environment and as a key member of a friendly, high-performing team.
You will play a pivotal role in providing solutions-focused advice on a range of matters relating to contract law including drafting, reviewing, and providing advice on a wide range of commercial contracts, engagement tools and contracts with medical consultants, corporate client contracts for the Primary Care Division as well as working collaboratively with other members of the business, including Health Trust Europe, HCA’s group purchasing organisation. There will also be the opportunity to provide advice and support to HCA’s overseas business team and advise and train on policy requirements and processes.
This role is vital to the amazing work achieved by our professional healthcare colleagues, and your expertise will be valued and fully utilised across a range of staffing groups including contract managers, heads of departments as well as administrative and senior management.
We are a commercial, focused healthcare provider and your skills will empower HCA professionals to act in accordance with the law, promote best practice and maintain exemplary standards of care for our private patients.
Above all else, we’re committed to the care and improvement of human life. It’s this guiding vision that influences everything we do at HCA UK. From the CEO to the colleagues on the floor we all have a part to play in delivering exceptional care to our patients. Others may think this is just a role in Contracts, but to us, you’ll be part of a wider team with a unique sense of purpose, one that helps improve lives on a daily basis.
What you’ll do:
- Drafting, reviewing, and providing advice on wide range of commercial contracts. By way of example, preparing and advising on commercial contracts for non-clinical consultancy services, commercial supply of goods and services, equipment leases and maintenance, room licence agreements, Resident Medical Officer secondment agreements, software purchases and licences, overseas agency agreements, corporate client contracts for the Primary Care Division and confidentiality agreements.
- Drafting, reviewing, and providing advice on engagement tools and contracts with medical consultants. Being familiar with the Private Healthcare Market Investigation Order 2014.
- Providing advice and support to HCA’s overseas business team and liaising with the US parent company compliance team in an effective manner through comprehensive requests for approval. Being familiar with the key principles of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act 1977.
- Being familiar with the Corporate Contracts Approval Policy; in particular the contracts review and approval process and being able to provide business colleagues with appropriate support.
Advising on joint ventures with other healthcare organisations, including the NHS. Assessing commercial arrangements and procurement requirements, instructing external counsel as appropriate, reviewing, and advising on transactional documents, including commercial agreements with appropriate support.
Preparing clinical trial agreements for sponsors, principal investigators, site agreements, material transfer agreements. Instructing external counsel as appropriate.
- Professional legal qualification.
- Significant post-qualification experience in English contract law, ideally in-house.
- Exceptional communication and advisory skills.
- High level of organisational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritise and to ensure deadlines are met.
- Being able to work effectively as part of a team and to act independently in your area of expertise.
- Previous healthcare experience is desirable.
Originally founded over 50 years ago by Dr Thomas Frist, HCA has gone on to become one of the world’s leading healthcare providers. In the UK, we’re one of the largest providers of privately funded healthcare and have invested over £500 million in the latest treatments, technology, techniques, medication, and facilities. Being part of a large multisite, established healthcare group we can offer you unrivalled opportunities for career progression through internal and external courses, as well as working conditions that prioritise both your mental and physical wellbeing.
By caring for our employees, we empower them to provide exceptional care for our patients. That’s why we offer a host of flexible benefits that reflect the invaluable contribution they make every day. As a Contracts Lawyer, you’ll be eligible for:
25 days holiday each year (plus bank holidays) increasing with service, with option to buy or sell leave to suit you.
Private Healthcare Insurance for treatment at our leading hospitals.
Private pension contribution which increases with length of service.
Season Ticket Loan and Cycle to Work scheme.
Group Life Assurance from day one.
Critical illness cover.
Enhanced Maternity and Paternity pay.
Corporate staff discount for all facilities including Maternity packages at The Portland.
Comprehensive range of flexible health, protection, and lifestyle benefits to suit you.
Discounts with over 800 major retailers.
Patients first. Colleagues always. That’s the guiding philosophy behind our approach to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging. We believe healthcare is built on a foundation of inclusion, compassion, and respect for our patients and for each other. By working together with our colleagues we’re creating a truly inclusive environment, where individual differences are celebrated, and everyone can achieve their potential.
We believe everyone should feel comfortable to bring their full self to work and be afforded the same opportunities. That’s why we’re happy to discuss flexible working arrangements to suit your needs as well as offer reasonable adjustments throughout our recruitment process, and in the workplace, to anyone that needs them.