London – The Wellington Hospital
Head of Governance and Risk
The Wellington Hospital, St Johns Wood
Working hours, 37.5 per week - Monday to Friday
Salary competitive plus excellent benefits
Do you want to be part of a Leadership Team that strives for excellence, always puts the patient at the heart of all everything they do and wants to build a culture of continuous improvement? We are looking to recruit a Head of Governance who shares these values and will ensure we have outstanding regulatory, compliance and accreditation systems and processes in place.
The Wellington Hospital is the largest private Hospital in the UK and delivers a broad range of services from outpatient, urgent care, complex surgery, cardiac, world class rehabilitation and a full intensive care facilities. We attract patients from across the globe, provide high standards of care and have many internationally renowned Consultants treating our patients.
That is why we are looking for an outstanding and experienced candidate for this important role. Reporting to the Chief Nursing Officer and working closely with our clinical lead for Medical Governance, you will lead a small team and build strong working relationship with our heads of departments across our hospital sites.
We are looking for someone who can bring inspiration, innovation and pragmatism to this key role, and who can demonstrate a credible track record of delivery and expertise in clinical governance, quality provision and assurance processes across a complex healthcare organisation. You will be a highly effective communicator, confident to deal with a wide range of stakeholder and will be able to provide excellent written reports, presentation and complaints responses.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Ensure all services are legally registered within the statutory and regulatory frameworks and are meeting the CQC essential standards and outcomes and all future regulatory assessment/investigation approach
- Provide expert advice and support to the Executive Directors and Senior Managers on matters relating to such areas as risk and incident management, regulatory compliance, complaints resolution, clinical negligence and health and safety
- Oversee and monitor all patient complaints ensuing we comply with ISCAS best practice
- Lead on the implementation, ongoing assessment and development of the CQC standards, working closely with teams, professional leads and managers to ensure broad understanding and ownership and liaising with external monitoring/regulatory bodies.
- To deliver training and/or facilitation to others as part of this process, and set up performance monitoring and audit processes to track progress and achievement
- Review, summarise and advise about national guidance and legislation; national and local clinical quality indicators/standards; information and guidance in order to support service development and deliver
- Ensure the executive team are advised in a timely manner of high risk incidents, complaints or cases that might have a substantial impact on patient care or reputation
- To support and facilitate the production and implementation of the organisations responses to P planning and business continuity ensuring the HCA International is taking account of national guidance and best practice
- Lead, develop and ensure effective mechanisms are in place for learning from serious incidents, complaints, and to encourage a patient focussed learning culture.
Skills and experience
- Prior senior experience within a Hospital Governance, Risk or Quality position and managing a team is essential
- Postgraduate qualification/Masters or equivalent in-depth training and/or significant experience in risk, governance or compliance
- Clinical/ Nursing experience would be desirable but not essential
- Experience of implementing Quality, regulatory compliance, Governance and risk management frameworks
If you would like to discuss the role in more detail our CNO Jan Stevens CBE would be delighted to chat to you