London – The Harley Street Clinic
Job - Resident Doctor (RD) – Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Location – The Harley Street Clinic Hospital, London
Contract Type - Full time (FTE) or less than full time (LTFT) with a range of flexible shifts. Option to join our staff bank for extra shifts. Rotas allow for adaptable part-time contractual commitments. Shifts are 12 or 24-hour and can be arranged to be block booked if required to fit around outside commitments.
Salary – Competitive (dependent on skillset & years of experience)
By caring for our employees, we empower them to provide exceptional care for our patients. That’s why we offer a host of benefits that reflect the invaluable contribution they make every day.
- 25 days holiday each year (excluding bank holidays)
- Health Benefits; Private healthcare, private GP and dental insurance for you and your family
- Protection: Critical illness cover and Life assurance for you and your spouse, personal accident insurance, travel insurance and will writing
- Private pension contribution and free pension advice
- Lifestyle: Cycle to work scheme, gymflex plus other discounts
- Annual pay review
At HCA we are open to international candidates, with GMC registration and licence to practise in the UK.
HCA can support with immigration, Certificates of sponsorship, Tier 2 Visa’s processed through our immigration’s specialists and temporary accommodation support for your arrival.
Clinical Duties and Responsibilities
- Play an integral part and to work collaboratively with specialist consultants, nursing professionals and members of the multidisciplinary team to provide 24-7 excellent patient care, maintain a high standard of work and uphold the professional image of HCA Healthcare UK.
- Carry out a comprehensive handover from outgoing Resident doctor to incoming Resident doctor at each shift change and to maintain a high standard of accurate documentation on electronic patient records and any paper notes.
- Day to day medical care of inpatients- admissions and discharges and assessing referrals from ward Resident doctors.
- Undertake medical procedures as required including vascular access (e.g., insertion of central venous catheter/vascaths, insertion of arterial lines) airway management (e.g., intubation, management of tracheostomies) Other procedures (e.g., Chest/abdominal drain insertion, lumbar puncture, management of acute pain/epidural catheters, use of ultrasound, ventilation management)
- Provide escort for transfer of ventilated patients in the hospital (e.g., to CT or MRI scanner) and occasionally inter-hospital/external transfers.
- Carry a bleep/ DECT phone which is part of the cardiac arrest team and always be available to provide airway management and team leadership as part of the hospital emergency response team.
- Provide any urgent medical attention to staff and visitors until the person is admitted under a consultant or transferred to an NHS facility.
GMC registration and be in good upstanding with GMC
Completion of Foundation training and at least 2 further years of core anaesthetics/ stage 1 ICM or ACCS.
At least 6 months experience of anaesthesia and ICU
FRCA/ FICM/ MRCEM/MRCP
Experience with Cardiothoracic ICU/ neuro ICU
NHS training programme in ICM or Anaesthesia
Career Progression and Opportunities for development
- Core staff have an allocated study budget, for courses relevant to speciality.
- HCA has a comprehensive Learning Academy where you can enrol on courses.
- HCA offer grants and sponsorship for research and opportunities to develop leadership skills with the ‘Executive Master’s in Medical Leadership’ with Bayes Business school
- The opportunity to work closely with ICU consultants to produce papers or research
- Personal development
The Harley Street Clinic Hospital Background
Based on Harley Street itself, it is one of HCA’s 5 private intensive care units in London. The hospital itself specialises in Cardiothoracic surgery and have some of the world’s top surgeons performing ground-breaking surgery. Another large part of the Harley Street clinics workload is oncology care, with more than 20 inpatient beds.
The ICU consists of 13 beds where both ICU and HDU patients stay. The Harley Street Clinic ICU is one of the more acute HCA ICUs with a fast pace. They mainly care for cardiothoracic, neuro, general surgery, head and neck and breast reconstruction surgery. The ICU covers emergencies within the hospital and for other inpatients that may require organ support or higher levels of monitoring.
The ICU Resident Doctor plays a crucial role within the private Healthcare Sector. Consultants work as Independent Practitioners, and therefore the hospital requires the 24-hour presence of a Resident Doctor to provide continuous quality patient care to support these Consultants.
More information about HCA ICU