London – The Princess Grace Hospital
Head of Resident Doctor
At HCA UK, we have an exciting opportunity suitable to Senior SPR level Doctors, to be a Head of Resident Doctors.
- Full Time. Monday to Friday,
- 40 hours per week, occasional weekend and completion of ad-hoc clinical shifts, is a requirement. You are expected to be 30% clinical and will have 70% managerial time.
- ( The Management time is operational on all the wards, visually present in Surgical, Medical and ITU, supporting, training and leading on ward rounds with the Resident Doctors.
- Permanent Contract. Salary Up to £85000 depending on experience. Private medical healthcare insurance, contributory private pension, 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays and 5 days paid study leave per annum.
- Plus; Fully Funded Masters’ Degree in Medical Leadership at City University in association with Bayes Business School.
- Locations; HCA Healthcare UK Corporate Head office and Princess Grace Hospital, London.
- Direct Reporting Line Director of Resident Services.
The leadership role will have both site-based lead and speciality lead responsibilities. This particular role is site lead for Princess Grace Hospital and managing Resident Doctors across the group. You will have an extensive surgical background and will be supported by a Deputy Head resident Doctor- (Critical Care Background). Main Specialities within the hospital include: Urgent Care, Acute Medicine, Breast & Gynae, Orthopaedics, Colorectal, Urology, HPB and Critical care Services
Summary of Duties; Head of Resident Doctor
- The successful candidate, a natural people manager, will work in partnership with our hospital's leadership teams concerning the General Surgery and Medicine, or Intensive Care Medicine. Forming a close working relationship with Medical Director, Lead Consultants, Chief Nursing Officer and those who work closely with Resident Doctors onsite.
- This will include responsibility for workforce planning to the required patient to doctor ratios. Managing rotas ensuring staffing levels are responsive to changes in patient census and patient needs. Pro- actively recruiting for permanent rota positions, and increasing the in-house bank to ensure our resident doctors are highly skilled and competent.
- This will also include budget management, overseeing mandatory training, career performance conversations and dealing with any clinical incidents or employee relations matters, should they arise.
- A significant part of this unique leadership position, as a Resident Doctor role model, you will play an active role of the senior management teams to ensure the Resident Doctor population are deliver high-quality care. You will be present onsite, on wards, working as Resident Doctor, leading by example, strive for excellence at all times, providing guidance and support on potential new ways of working, improving efficiencies, Quality Improvement Projects or Increasing Patient Satisfaction opportunities. Audits, research and vast scope of standardising high-quality medical practices.
Criteria for successful applicants
- Full registration with the General Medical Council (GMC)
- 4 years' Doctors medical training and relevant Royal College Membership
- Expert medical knowledge in General Surgery.
- Experience required: Planning a clinical workforce, making provisions for clinical education. Supervising or training trainee doctors. Managing a diverse workforce and associated employee matters.
- Service line management and department budget line experience desirable.