Facility:The Princess Grace Hospital
Category:Management & Business Support
Located in the heart of London’s esteemed medical district, the newly-refurbished Princess Grace Hospital offers a wide range of medical and surgical specialties. Supported by world-class doctors from leading London teaching hospitals, the hospital has 129 beds, including a purpose-built intensive care unit, catering for Level 3 patients. Our eight fully-equipped theatres include three laminar flow theatres for orthopaedic surgery, a hybrid theatre to enable complex vascular surgery, a robotic surgery suite along with some of the most advanced radiological diagnostic facilities in the country.
We'll look after you with our contribution pension scheme, life assurance, the use of all HCA facilities for acute medical conditions (on completion of probation period), annual salary review and help to balance your home and work life with 25 days holiday each year. You’ll also benefit from our flexible benefits scheme where you can sign up to other benefits, such as dental insurance, cycle scheme and discounted gym memberships. You will also receive regular training and coaching to support and develop you in your position.
As Risk Manager, you will work within the hospital as part of a corporate governance team.
You will be required to work closely with the local clinical and operational teams to develop and maintain organisational risk registers, oversee the reporting and investigation of adverse incidents, including root cause analysis of serious incidents and near misses, monitor completion of action plans developed from incident reviews and to ensure that the electronic incident reporting system, Datix, is maintained to a high standard and with all relevant documentation uploaded to it in accordance with procedure.
Salary between £42,000 and £52,000 per annum plus HCA benefits
Working hours 37.5 per week: Monday - Friday
- Under the direction of the Head of Governance, support the development of the hospitals risk management strategy and associated policies and documentation
- Under the direction of the Head of Governance ensure that all patient safety incident reports are investigated as appropriate in line with HCA policy and procedures with focus on lessons learned
- Be responsible for the management and updating of databases used for assurance or management purposes in relation to risk management standards
- Manage the process for the risk registers within The Princess Grace Hospital
- Work collaboratively with Heads of Department (HODs) to ensure appropriate oversight and support of the management and assurance of the risk incidents
- Be responsible for working within agreed financial limits and take budgetary responsibility
- Work collaboratively with the Quality & Clinical Effectiveness Manager within the overarching Governance structure and deputise for the Head of Governance
- Develop and embed a positive risk management culture across The Princess Grace Hospital
- Provide an expert resource and source of advice, information and training for risk management activities across the organisation
- Work proactively with Heads of Departments to ensure comprehensive arrangements are in place for identifying and managing risks across all of the buildings, functions and services of the organisation, including the development of strategic and operational risk assessments and action plans
- To be responsible for maintaining information held on The Princess Grace Hospital’s Corporate Risk Register (DATIX risk register module) ensuring that the information is accurate and up to date
- Create and present reports to relevant Hospital committees, including trend analysis and advice for key stakeholders. Reports should include a review of the themes from DATIX incidents and events
- Update, validate and performance monitor the Hospitals Risk Register, challenging the information as appropriate and negotiating acceptable timeframes for the completion of risk action plans
- Provide routine and ad-hoc risk reports and incident investigation reports written to a high standard for a variety of audiences
- Liaise with the Corporate Clinical team in risk management activities
- Lead and participate in systematic incident investigations making appropriate use of root cause analysis tools and techniques to capture learning from incidents
- Support the system of reporting serious incidents externally to ensure compliance with regulatory/statutory requirements, under the direction of the Head of Governance
- Work with the Head of Governance to identify actions that result from investigations, areas of common failure, other trends or external reports that may require changes to clinical practice
- Under the direction of the Head of Governance develop tools that support the effective management of risks, incidents and safety alerts, so the service can work flexibly with common understanding
- Support meetings pertaining to safe and effective care under the direction of the Head of Governance
- Keep all polices and supporting documentation relating to clinical / healthcare governance are compliant with standards and supportive of other procedural arrangements
- Ensure that Health Safety Advisor and team are appropriately involved in all Health & Safety related matters
- Ensure that all requirements for external reporting are visible to and coordinated with the relevant team
- Clinical Qualification
- Risk Management Qualification or equivalent experience in health care setting
- Knowledge of the governance and UK legislative framework
- Excellent working knowledge of a variety of IT systems – Excel, Meditech and Datix.
An innovative and flexible approach is a must along with excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills. You must be able to maintain and promote effective communication with all members of the multi-professional team whilst remaining professional at all times; demonstrating politeness, courtesy and sensitivity in dealing with patients/clients, visitors/relatives and colleagues.