Senior Staff Nurse- General Surgery Gynae & Breast
Facility:The Portland Hospital
Category:Nursing & Midwifery
Internationally renowned for clinical excellence, The Portland Hospital is the UK’s only private hospital dedicated to the care of women and children. We understand the sensitivity in seeking treatment for one of the complexities of women’s health.
Treatment within Women’s Health is one of the most rapidly advancing technological areas of medicine. In keeping with this much of the treatment offered utilises minimally invasive techniques which can often result in a shorter inpatient stay and recovery period. We are now expanding our Women’s Surgical Services with a state of the art 12 bedded inpatient Surgical, HDU ward and Critical Care unit to enable us to provide complex surgical services to female surgical patients.
The Senior Staff Nurse will assess, plan, deliver and evaluate highest standards of nursing for all patients between High Dependency and Surgical Ward working within a team, supervising and directing junior staff enabling the provision of a high quality woman centred surgical service.
Salary: £35,673 - £40,401 (dependent on experience) plus 9% enhancements and HCA benefits
Hours: 37.5 per week (Working Long days, nights and weekends)
Closing date: 31/03/2018
Please note we will close this role early if suitable number of applications are received
- Act as a role model, assisting colleagues to develop advanced knowledge and skills in order to benefit the treatment and care of patients in both a High Dependency and ward setting within the Hospital.
- Independently assess patient care requirements, deliver planned nursing care in agreement with the patient or the main carer as appropriate, demonstrate effective evaluation of nursing interventions and initiate newly planned care accordingly, ensuring patient advocacy is maintained at all times.
- Demonstrate clinical credibility and advanced nursing practice within the physical assessment of a patient.
- Continuously deliver plans of care, whilst taking into consideration consultant preferences, monitoring nursing outcomes and evaluating and adapting plans of care and reporting to the ward team/ medical staff / Matron as appropriate.
- Communicate with consultants and organise the transfer/discharge of patients from the High Dependency Unit to the ward.
- Shift leader guide junior staff and take overall responsibility for the assessment of patients and delivery of care plans by utilization of advanced skills.
- Assist and support staff to attain their core clinical competencies and be part of the assessment process.
- Assist on referrals to other clinical groups within the Hospital and to external groups. Work with junior staff / health care assistant / students and delegate and supervise care in a fair and equitable manner.
- Recognise the signs and symptoms of a deteriorating patient and initiate early interventions in a calm and co-ordinated manner. Take the lead in emergency situations and carry out evaluation of care post emergency care situations.
- Advise other clinical areas/ departments with regards the needs of the critically ill patient/ acting as resource for ward areas.
- Demonstrate a good working knowledge of women’s health surgery including gynaecology and breast surgery.
- Take overall responsibility for ensuring nursing procedures reflect evidence-based practice by continuously participating in the review of policies/ procedures/ protocols and guidelines.
- To be responsible for the day to day shift co-ordination of the ward, providing nursing leadership, guidance and expert clinical advice.
- Deal with complex situations and take appropriate action in emergency or unforeseen situations.
- Registered General Nurse with NMC pin
- Good knowledge of surgical nursing with experience caring for pre and post-operative patients
- High dependency qualification desirable but not essential
- Teaching and mentorship qualification desirable
- ILS or ALS qualification
- Private patient experience (desirable)
- Evidence of Senior Nurse level experience within a Surgical ward or High Dependency setting
- A willingness to participate in the care of patients undergoing Termination of Pregnancy
You will be visionary and dynamic in driving the team forward in a rapid changing environment. You will have the ability communicate effectively at all levels within the multi-disciplinary team, to assist in developing and promoting protocols for the care and management of women undergoing surgery, including care within a High Dependency setting. You will provide clinical leadership for nursing and support staff, taking daily responsibility to ensure that the clinical area works within management controls and provides consistently high quality care within given budgets and resources.