Senior Staff Nurse (Paediatric Urgent Care)
Salary:£30,001 - £40,000
Facility:The Portland Hospital
Category:Nursing & Midwifery
The Portland Hospital is internationally renowned for clinical excellence it is the only independent hospital in London and the UK entirely dedicated to women and children.
The Portland Hospital are opening a brand new Urgent Care Centre, set to open its doors in 2018. The service will be open for patient consultations, diagnostic tests and minor procedures if necessary.
You will work with the Ward Sister and multi-disciplinary team members in monitoring and maintaining policies, standards of nursing care and staff development. You will deputise for the Ward Sister in the management of the clinical area this will involve dealing with complex situations and having to take appropriate action in emergency or unforeseen situations.
Salary between £35,673 and £40,401 plus HCA benefits
- Demonstrate good leadership skills and act as a clinical and managerial resource within the clinical area.
- Identify care priorities and organise workload.
- Monitors patient flow through the department.
- Keeps accurate and complete patient care notes
- Demonstrates specialist skills and knowledge within the Urgent Care Centre
- Undertakes relevant clinical skills within role requirements following training and assessment (eg venepuncture, cannulation, administrating medication, aseptic dressings, assembling equipment, maintaining infusions, wound care, ECG recording and other medical procedures.)
- Accurately observe patient’s conditions recording and interpreting clinical observations and initiate appropriate actions/ interventions. Discussing all concerns with the medical team.
- Provide patients/ families with information regarding the management of their condition.
- Demonstrate assessment skills and priorities unwell patients.
- Escalate all safeguarding concerns to the Safeguarding lead.
- Organise the day to day co-ordination of shifts.
- Manages own workload and oversees the rest of the nursing team’s patient load
- Ensure the provision of appropriate support for members of the team you should use resources to develop skills and knowledge for effective departmental management.
- Capture revenue and assist the Sister in managing resources effectively
- Co-ordinate nursing duty rotas to ensure levels and skill mix meet the needs of the ward
- RSCN/Child Branch registration
- NMC registered
- Paediatric A&E experience essential
- Level 3 Safeguarding children training undertaken within the last 12 months
- Valid APLS or EPLS
- Phlebotomy training (Desirable)
You will act as a role model to other staff both in your unit at all times, acting as a guide to junior members of the team; facilitating mentorship and preceptorship programs when required. Creating a positive and welcoming atmosphere for patients and their families is an essential part of this role.