Biomedical Scientist - Microbiology
Category:Healthcare Science Services
HCA Healthcare UK – The World’s largest private healthcare group; providing award winning primary, acute and complex care.
From complex care to straightforward procedures in both adults and children, HCA UK provides exceptional care across our six world-class hospitals, clinics, outpatient and diagnostics centres, and NHS partnerships. We believe that all our patients and employees should have access to the latest state-of-the-art technology, which has seen HCA UK invest more than £500 million over the last decade to ensure that our hospitals and specialist centres are amongst the best equipped in the world. This philosophy of continual investment ensures our employees have the best career development opportunities; as their skills advance alongside our facilities and technology.
As a Biomedical Scientist you will have comprehensive post-registration experience in Microbiology and Serology - you will be processing samples to provide accurate and quality results on time. You will be responsible for delegated tasks involved in the day-to-day organisation and delivery of a clinical pathology service with high standards of patient care. The post holder will be expected to work across the Microbiology and Serology departments.
This is a full time role working 37.5hrs per week Monday – Friday which will be internal rotation shifts to include 8am – 4pm, 9am – 5pm or 12.30 to 8.30pm. There will also be regular weekend work and night shift cover as required.
Please note we will close this role early if suitable number of applications are received
Reward & recognition – We reward your commitment in delivering the highest standard of care with generous and competitive benefits such as our contribution pension scheme, private medical insurance, annual salary review, 25 days holiday each year. We invest in your career development with clear career pathways and access to further education. We can also offer you support with relocation if you are living outside of London or the UK; subject to terms and conditions.
- The use of skills, theory and knowledge to provide a high quality and effective Microbiology and Serology laboratory service
- Participation in rotation through all areas of the department
- Perform routine equipment maintenance, recognise mechanical faults and report to Senior BMS’s if equipment is not functioning correctly
- Ensure work undertaken conforms to the procedures defined in local policies and procedures.
- Ensure that work conforms to the required standards outlined in ISO 15189.
- Safely handle and triage samples ensuring that urgent work is prioritised, and high-risk samples are appropriately identified and handled appropriately.
- Ensure that clinically significant results are notified to the user in accordance to local protocols.
- Provide accurate and appropriate information to service users when communicating results or handling telephone queries.
- Communicate with service users and laboratory staff on appropriate tests required and sample requirements
- Interpretation, validation and timely reporting of results within your field of expertise and offer specialist advice to users
- Experience of using a variety of analytical platforms (eg. Roche COBAS 6500, Bruker MALDI-TOF, BD MGIT, Diasorin Liason, biomerieux VIDAS, DS2, Cepheid, Bio-Flash, etc).
- Registration as a Biomedical Scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Hold evidence of, and continue to demonstrate continual personal/professional development ensuring up-to-date knowledge and working to high professional standards.
- Demonstrate a positive and responsive attitude.
- Adhere to, and work in accordance with all appropriate guidelines and policies.
- IBMS Specialist Portfolio in Medical Microbiology, or equivalent experience (eg. 2 years post registration)
At HCA UK we recognise and value everyone as unique and individual; treat people with kindness and compassion; act with absolute honesty, integrity, and fairness and trust and treat one another as valued members of the HCA UK family. As someone looking to join our family, you will demonstrate these key values.
You will also actively participate as a member of a team to move the team towards completion of tasks, goals, and objectives; demonstrate leadership and influence others to be the best they can be and inspire our colleagues and patients; and deliver information in a clear, concise, and compelling manner to effectively engage others and achieve desired results.